That’s how Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, described the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the modern-day workplace. This was during the onset of the pandemic when companies began adopting virtual communication tools to keep things moving forward. Now, it has become the new norm.
It goes unsaid that this digital transformation has impacted recruitment processes as well. 58% of recruiters now use social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram to connect with potential hires. For a job seeker, that spells out one thing- if you are not online, you don’t exist.
Now the first step of any job application process is preparing a resume or a CV (curriculum vitae), which is a brief summary of your educational background, work experience and skills. Your CV is the first thing that a recruiter goes through and if it doesn’t catch their attention, the journey ends right there. To truly stand out in today’s day and age, your CV needs to be dynamic, aesthetic and functional. To give you the answer, a digital CV or a digital resume is the way to go.
You must have two questions on your mind: Why should I create a digital CV? And how do I create one?
Let’s tackle the first question, shall we? Here are three main benefits associated with a digital resume:
1. It helps with SEO
SEO stands for search engine optimization and includes practices that help increase the quality and quantity of organic traffic. To put it simply, it determines the web pages that end up on the first page of search results. A digital CV can help increase and strengthen your online visibility such that when recruiters search for your name, industry-specific keywords or role-specific keywords; you show up on their search results.
2. It showcases your digital literacy and creativity.
A digital resume is the best way to market yourself as a digitally savvy person. This is especially important in today’s environment where recruiters are constantly on the lookout for people who are comfortable adhering to a hybrid work setup that requires constant use of virtual tools and the latest technologies.
Moreover, a digital resume is pleasing to look at and more interactive. It allows you to use your creativity and come up with a customized format that works best for your specific background and provides a glimpse of your personality.
3. It is easy to share, access and edit.
You’ve spotted an error on your resume but you’ve already sent it out to a hiring manager. Now you’ll have to send a follow-up email with the corrected version which the hiring manager will have to download again. It’s just a lot of hassle, isn’t it? A digital resume will make life easier for both you and the recruiter. All you need to do is send one link and any changes made thereafter, is updated in real-time. If the recruiter likes your CV and prefers a soft copy, they can easily export it to a PDF file.
You can also link your digital resume to your digital business card or a smart business card. That way anyone who might be interested in getting further details about your work, can easily gain access to that information. It’s a great way to catch the attention of potential head-hunters or clients.
Setting up a Digital CV / Résumé
In answer to your second question, Personal Hub 360+ can help you create the perfect digital resume. All you need to do is follow the simple steps listed below:
- Navigate to ‘CVs Management’ -> ‘Add CV’.
- Choose a template from the two that are currently two available.
- Upload a profile image. We recommend a professional photo shot against a plain background.
- Input preliminary details such as CV name (to locate the right CV), your name and occupation.
- Once you have created your digital CV, there are two more actions you need to complete:
- Information: This is where you can add your contact information such as email address, websites and social media handles.
- Sections: Input the name and content of different sections. For instance, work experience, education, testimonials etc. This is where you can get creative and customize your digital resume for specific job roles or industries.
- Once you’ve created your digital CV, you can share it easily via URL links/QR codes. You can export it to a pdf format as well by clicking the ‘Export PDF’ button in the top-right corner of your digital resume.
And voila! You’ve got your very own digital resume up and running. Check out more of what Personal Hub 360+ has to offer to make your personal/corporate branding experience a lot more convenient and easier.